October 18, 2009

Crying at work

Once I was a customer when a barista started crying. She burned herself on the steam wand (which you get used to pretty quickly working in a job like that). She tried to hide it at first and when I asked if she was OK, she just muttered "yeah." But it quickly became apparent that either due to the burn or (more likely) due to other things, she was not. I tried to send her telepathic messages. "It's OK. I'm one of the good ones. You can let it out." And as if she heard me, she started crying. I told her I knew what she felt like since I'd burned myself about a million times on steam wands all over the Minneapolis metro area, but what I was really saying is that I know what she felt like because I know what it's like to be treated like shit all day. To know that despite that, if you want to make any money, you have to be nice to everyone no matter what's going on at home or at work or in your head.



No comments:

Post a Comment