December 27, 2009

Reunited and it feels so...awkward?

It's been a couple years since I've made a cappuccino or served a meal to anyone, but I still run into old customers occasionally. Quite often at parties, a friend (mostly the ones who live in St. Paul, which is where I last worked in food service) will introduce me to their friend and the conversation will go like this:

Friend of friend: "You look so familiar. Did you go to [name of college - they usually guess art school if I'm wearing my glasses]?"
Me: "Nope."
FoF: "Hmm. Did you used to be friends/roommates with/date [name of another friend]?"
Me: "No, I don't think I know that person."
FoF: "Weird, I swear I know you from somewhere."
(awkward silence)
Me: "*Sigh*...Well, did you used to go to [place I used to work], by chance?"
FoF: "Oh, yeah, I live right by there! That's where I know you from. You used to make my coffee!"
Me: "Yep, that's it. I worked there for eight years."

It's at this point that the conversation goes one of two ways. Choose your own adventure!

1. The person is cool and has other things to talk about besides where I used to work, or will actually be interested in my non-food service life in addition to talking about what kind of smoothie they used to like. I like when this happens, as sometimes I make a new friend.

2. The person is kind of clueless and will then try to have a conversation with me about nothing but my former workplace. I've had people grill me about whether they are hiring, why the price of something has gone up, bitching about how the menu has changed. I usually try to take it with a grain of salt, but some people revert to customer mode when they find out I used to serve them, and it's kind of irritating.

Although it should be noted that I absolutely love it when people tell me how much worse the food/service has gotten since I left. Because it's TOTALLY TRUE ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment